The trend of the century, biohacking, is the hottest new tool high performers use to slow down aging and live over 100 years old, looking 40.
There is one thing that we can all agree on, doesn’t matter the beliefs or personal experiences:
The technology developments had a huge leap in the past years.
From AI, to treatment of horrible deseases, to construction and the metaverse, the world has seen a great materialisation of ideas that were once just dreams of idealistic scientists.
Whether we as a society, will be able to handle all these safely, that’s a philosophical question for another article. But we can certainly use them to our benefit during the day to day life.
One of these developments, and a very hot topic in Hollywood or among high performers these days is “Biohacking”.
What is Biohacking?
It is pretty much what it states. There are numerous ways in which we can hack our internal biology, to help our body develop more naturally, remove toxins, and improve performance and functions.
One of the most common achievements of Biohacking are as follows:
- Improving Sleep
- Improving Digestion (Gut health)
- Improving Cognitive Function (e.g. Focus, Memory, etc.)
- Improving Physical Performance (e.g. In sports, day to day life, sex, optimal growth, etc.)
- Avoid diseases and reduce your risk of developing them
- Expanding your life expectancy = Live Longer
I know some of these sound extreme, but there are hundreds of studies that determined ways in which you can, actually, even live longer.
How to implement Biohacking:
- Avoid exposure to blue light from your phone 1 hour before bed and 1 hour after you wake up -> this will improve your sleep massively by stimulating your melatonin secretion
- Do not drink caffeine for 1 hour at least, after you wake up. -> This helps regulate your digestion and hormonal levels will settle before you ingest caffeine, this way avoiding the energy drop in the afternoon.
- Functional Mushrooms have moved out of the asian ancient practices and into the mainstream supplementing processes. -> it has a massive effect on energy, sexual function, athletic / sports performance, sleep and digestion.
- NMN & Resveratrol -> The keys for a longer life and cellular regeneration
- Electrolytes -> Increasing hydration, decrease water retention, and improve digestion and energy levels
Now, let’s dive into a selection of supplements that I personally use and implemented in my life, to Biohack my body and help my fitness performance but also my cognitive abilities as a Software Engineer and Entrepreneur.
Lion’s Mane – Functional Mushroom Supplement
This is my go to supplement when in a busy period and not only. It helps me with gaining more focus and improving my memory.
- Cellular Regeneration: Promotes nerve growth factor (NGF) production, supporting nerve cell growth.
- Youthful Cognition: May combat age-related cognitive decline and support overall brain health.
- Fitness: While not directly tied to athletic performance, its potential neuroprotective properties might aid in neural resilience and recovery.
You can buy it on amazon here using my affiliate link: LION’S MANE
This is my go to functional mushroom when it comes to enery levels and sustaining them along the day.
Cordyceps is a fungus traditionally used in Asian medicine. It’s reputed for:
- Boosting Energy: Believed to improve stamina and athletic performance.
- Supporting Immunity: May enhance immune function.
- Lung Health: Traditionally used for respiratory conditions.
- Antioxidant Properties: Helps combat oxidative stress.
You can buy it on amazon here using my affiliate link: CORDYCEPS
Reishi is a medicinal mushroom valued in traditional Asian medicine. Key potential benefits include:
- Immune Support: May modulate and enhance immune function.
- Stress and Sleep: Traditionally used for its adaptogenic properties to combat stress and improve sleep.
- Antioxidant Properties: Contains compounds that combat oxidative stress.
- Heart Health: Some evidence suggests benefits for cardiovascular health.
You can buy it on amazon here using my affiliate link: REISHI
Grass Fed Beef Liver
Grass-fed beef liver supplements are derived from the liver of cattle that have been fed primarily on grass. I have been using it for a while and it has a massive impact on my fitness.
These supplements offer:
Rich Nutrients: High in vitamins A, B12, and iron.
Energy Boost: Due to its high B-vitamin content, it can support energy production.
Iron Absorption: Contains heme iron, which is easily absorbed by the body.
Liver Health: Consuming liver may support one’s liver due to its nutrient density.
You can buy it on amazon here using my affiliate link: GRASS FED BEEF LIVER
NMN & Resveratrol
This is where it gets interesting. I have stumbled upon Resveratrol as a supplement with help with some health issues in the past, and NMN is a very popular podcast topic lately, especially by people that are using them both in conjunction to rejuvenate themselves and look younger, as well as feel younger.
NMN (Nicotinamide Mononucleotide):
- Cellular Energy: Boosts NAD+ levels, essential for cellular energy production and metabolism.
- Ageing: Has shown potential to slow age-associated physiological decline, leading to improved longevity.
- Fitness: Might enhance vascular function, benefiting endurance and overall physical performance.
- Cellular Health: Activates sirtuins, proteins linked to cellular health and longevity.
- Skin Youthfulness: Its antioxidant properties may protect skin from age-related damage.
- Performance: Some studies suggest it can enhance endurance and physical performance.
You can buy it on amazon here using my affiliate link: NMN & RESVERATROL
In conclusion, there are many ways in which Biohacking can find a place in your life, be it through lifestyle changes, habits, eating certain foods, or supplementing with certain vitamins or minerals.
Fundamentally, the idea is the same. Optimise, your hormonal levels, remove toxins, improve cellular function, improve cognitive function, reduce stress and anxiety, and increase performance (in the bedroom, in the gym or on the running track).